Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nicaragua Update #1

I know it has been a while. Here are the many updates I sent out while in Nicaragua!

Dearest Hermanos y Hermanas (Brothers and Sisters)!!

We arrived safely in the village of San Juan de Limay on December 23rd. I just want to start off with letting you all know that at home my spanish is horrible. Since I have been here in Nicaragua I have been able to communicate perfectly, as if I had been speaking Spanish my whole life! Such an amazing blessing from our Precious Lord. I am able to minister and talk to everyone I come in contact with. We spent all of Christmas Eve in the main town called Estelle which is 2 hours away from the village. We were purchasing materials to build the Pastor a bigger home because he is in need of it with such a large family. We purchased gifts for Pastor Vicente to give his children on Christmas and food for the large church dinner we were having on Christmas Day. Tradition here in Nicaragua is to spend Christmas Eve with your family members, eat dinner and if there are gifts, they exchange them at midnight. We gave Vicente and his family gifts which was such a blessing to see them open the gifts at midnight. The most amazing thing was driving to Brother Maximo's (a member of the church who is a very big help to the church) house a little after midnight to give them their presents. They are a family who never receive gifts. When they opened their presents they were Praising and giving Glory and Honor to God. One of the most humbling experiences ever. The next day the sisters of the church cooked enough food for 110 people for a Christmas dinner following the church service. I was in charge of taking care of the children. God is so sovereign and good! I prayed because I had no idea what I was going to share with these children. God gave me all the words to be able to explain the story of the Birth of Christ; and explain to them about how He was sent here to be our Savior and to wash us white as snow. We gave away glow in the dark bouncy balls and God gave me to idea of telling the children that Christ is "El Luz del mundo" (The Light of the world.) No matter where you are the Lord is with you; when you eat, go to school, and even when you are asleep. We shut all the lights off and the children saw the balls glowing. I am so thankful for such a wonderful opportunity to share the word of God with all these wonderful Children. Today we painted and cleaned the Pastor's/church kitchen, and ministered to the brothers and sisters of the church. We are sorry that we have not sent an update until now. We are now able to make it out to the internet cafes. Another update shall come! Thank You for continuing to Pray for us all your support. We ask that you would keep the people of San Juan de Limay in your prayers.. That their hearts would be open and that Our Lord Jesus receive all the Glory and Honor!

God Bless You all.

Love, Priscilla

Ps: this is a picture of the beautiful village!

No comments: