Sunday, June 28, 2009

no body, no self, just my God.

I am currently reading Taste and See: Savoring The SUPREMACY of GOD IN ALL of LIFE. By : John Piper
The book contains 140 devotions, I read this one last night and it really ministered to me.

~15~
-Her body, Her self, and Her GOD-

They looked at diaries from the 1830's to the 1990's. In the nineteenth century and early twentieth centuries, girls' diaries focused on 'good works' and perfecting the character. In the 1990's girls wrote on 'good looks,' and on perfecting the body.

A diary from 1892 says, "Resolved... to think before speaking. To work seriously. To be self-restrained in conversations and actions. To be dignified. Interesting myself more in others."

A diary from 1982 says, "I will try to make myself better in anyway I possibly can with the help of my new budget and baby-sitting money. I will lose weight, get new lenses, already got a new haircut, good makeup, new clothes and accessories." 

The diary entries are completely different and really made me think. The first one is based on "good works" and the other to "good looks." 

The Bible describes what God wills for women.

" That the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing,
but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works."
 1 Timothy 2:9-10

"Do not let your adornment be merely outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel--
rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.
For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands,
as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror."
1 Peter 3:3-6

Looking that these verses I realize both entries focus on self. It is so sad to come to the conclusion that I fall under both entries. I am so selfish all the time... wanting to always improve myself. Always wanting to seek the approval of man. How many times do I look in the mirror with the thoughts of does my makeup look good, or is my outfit cute? Who cares seriously? Have we become that shallow of human beings?

The biblical starting point in dealing with the fear of looking unacceptable to God. Does a woman "hope in God" or hope in the approval of men(and other women)? This is the key to "not being frightened by any fear". This is the key of being free from the bondage to the mirror. 

The biblical goal in life is to express the all-satisfying greatness and trustworthiness of God. Expressing God, not self, is what a godly woman want to do. With God at the center-like the "sun," satisfying a woman's longings for beauty and greatness and truth and love- all the "planets" of food and dress and exercise and cosmetics and posture and countenance will stay in their proper orbit. They say if this happens, the diaries of the next generation will probably go beyond looks and character and speak of the greatness of God and the triumphs of His grace. 
Lord I pray that that in this next generation we would speak of how great you are oh Lord, how mighty you are oh God, and that we would stand in reverence and awe of You our Sovereign King.

I recently heard some things that got me thinking, and to the point where I desire and long for these:

~Finding your worth in God. 

~Do we love what God loves? Do our hearts look like Gods heart? 

~Lord break my heart for the things that break Your heart.

and i've found two purposes in life...

~ to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

~love Him, love others, and serve the world.













No comments: